Sean Killeen bio photo

Sean Killeen

Just a guy trying to get better at writing bios.

Email Twitter Facebook Google+ LinkedIn Instagram Github Stackoverflow Foursquare
Edit this page | Issue? Question?

Problem

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro recently, I opened my Event Log to show a TON of errors from WMI. Event showed as an error and had the following text:

Event filter with query “SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WITHIN 10 WHERE (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_ExternalEthernetPort’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_VmLANEndpoint’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_SyntheticEthernetPort’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_ComputerSystem’) OR (TargetInstance ISA ‘Msvm_VLANEndpointSettingData’)” could not be reactivated in namespace “//./root/virtualization” because of error 0x80041010. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Solution

I did a little searching around and found this link which suggested removing the network adapter and installing 8.1’s default network adapter.

However, I decided to see if an update to the latest drivers would do the trick.

I have the P8Z68 V/Pro motherboard (which I love), which comes with an Intel 82579V card. I hopped over to the Intel Download Center and found the Windows 8.1 Network Adapter Driver v18.7 (direct link here).

Sure enough, installing the updated version of the adapter was enough – no need to replace it with the generic Windows 8.1 adapter. The errors have stopped and I’m seeing a performance gain as well.

If you were experiencing the same issue, I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know how you fared in the comments.

References